October 6, 2011


Eph 6:10-20

The Whole Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak. 

I have always loved the book of Ephesians, and I have always felt that Paul was basically writing to me each time that I would study and look into the letter.  Each time I would encounter a "rough patch" in my relationship with Jesus Christ I would quickly flip open the passage listed above and remind myself that even though I can't see my enemy I know that he is real and hates my guts. I used to think that I had experienced enough around the world that "I had seen it all" so to speak. 
Well then this trip to Japan came up.  It's actually hard to even think of all the "little things" that have happened from the logistics in preparation to come, to arrival, to accommodations, to interpersonal communications and relations. But here is the thing... this is a very real battle.  We are currently in a country that is only 1% Christian, that is known for being self sufficient and dependent on no one or no thing. March 11, 2011 changed things, and at the request of these people there is now an opportunity for Christians to come into this country, into these small towns and communities, and into these houses where statues of Buddha are common decor, and to serve and share the message of Hope and Love found in Jesus Christ. Satan hates that, he is losing his grip on this land, and here is the best part, he is already permanently defeated through the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Jesus Christ!
I just want to ask any and all of you that might read this to please join me in fervent prayer for the people of Japan. Especially the people that we have met in the towns of Ishinomaki and Kessenuma. These people just have eyes that are glassed over as they try to gather their lives up out of the rubble that is still surrounding their homes. The only thing that will break through that stronghold is the power of Jesus Christ and so please just pray that the Lord Jesus will be glorified and magnified as we yield to His control and power in our lives.  Pray against the tactics and strategies of our enemy satan, pray that we might be mindful of our shortcomings and the areas where he wants to trip us up while we are here.  And pray for our families and loved ones that are at home.  I think of Megan and the kids and the warfare and battle that Meg is undergoing right now. I know that some of the other teams members families are going through circumstances that the enemy twists and manipulates and uses in our lives to distract us from the task that the Lord has called us to, situations that are very real and very serious, but when truly thought through are very evidently used by our enemy to take our minds and hearts from this place at this time for the work that the Lord has called us to. I mentioned that I love Pauls letter of Ephesians, one of the other parts in that letter that just overwhelms me is earlier in the text when he has just finished reviewing just what the Lord has done for us through the Cross and the Ressurrection, and then he shares about amazing it is that Christ would then call and use him for his work.  But then Paul says this : 
20  Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, 21  to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. 





1 comment:

Joni said...

praying for you, brother. Thank you for being faithful!