October 2, 2011

Rebuilding Japan

Well to be honest with you I really have no idea what to write right now? I am sitting atop my bunk bed, in our military style tent in the small town of TOME, Japan.  We arrived on Wednesday and were able to work on a couple different projects that the crew that is based here was having trouble finishing. Just like when we were serving in Liberia, we have chosen to partner with Samaritan's Purse International Relief again here in Japan and their effort to rebuild homes and lives, but most importantly the church of Jesus Christ.
Yesterday we were able to spend some time with Matt Swenson who is the country director for SP here in Japan and he once again shared with us how the country as a whole is less than 1% Christian.  That is hard for us to imagine, and I know that even in all my travels I have not encountered another culture where the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not readily available. When Matt sent us his invitation to come just a few weeks ago he included that same stat but at the time it really didn't sink in, but now that we have put names to faces and have seen it, smelled it, touched it, stepped in it, Japan and it's need for Jesus Christ is very real!
We so much appreciate your prayers while we are serving here. SP has a great foothold in this country, but we are all confident that the enemy hates what we are doing and will try to any degree to discourage and defeat us.  However, we KNOW that we have nothing to fear and that we will be here for as long as God allows and that He is the ultimate authority in our lives and in this country.  Nothing has, is happening, or will happen a part from His allowing it to happen.
This trip has been hard for me to be a part from Meg.  Not because of what you might think. It goes without saying that I miss her, she's my wife! I love her more than anything.  But I am aware of my responsibility as a husband and also a Father.  The kids are getting older and with each day they develop their own personalities and characters and I don't want to miss that time.  I know that Meg is getting weary from the fights as she tries her best to teach and instruct and train the kids in the way that they should go and I don't want her to do it alone.  It is really hard to not be distracted by that.  I think that is a good thing though.  I don't want to be comfortable in this life and especially in my relationship with Jesus Christ.  I am in love with Him and I want to follow Him above all else.  I am confident that it is only then that I will be the husband and father that He needs me to be and that they need me to be.  So pray that I am that way, not than God brings us home sooner or anything selfish like that, but just that we seek & love Him with all our hearts, soul, mind, and strength.
I am hoping to write more often on this project because......well.......there really isn't anything else to do in our spare time! Seriously though, I believe that this is something that the Lord wants for me to do and I want to share with you what He is doing.

May the name of Jesus Christ be lifted High!Pictures of Steppin Out in Japan

No comments: